3days only, that separate us from the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii! Past few months our Ironman athletes gave us goosebumps with so much top performances and world championships 2018 qualifications!
But first things first, and all eyes are set on this year’s Ironman World Championships!
2 of our athletes qualified AND took their slot towards the race on saturday!
A high densified field at the starting line, maybe the strongest field ever…
With Jan Frodeno (Ger), McMahon (Can), Don (GBR) ,Kienle (Ger), Lange (Ger), O’Donnel (USA) , Buckingham (RSA), Hoffman (USA) and of course the Belgians Van Lierde and Aernouts….
Our athletes who will try to give their best on raceday:
Pierre Beaufort (Bel – AG 35-39):
- 2nd time in Hawaï, qualified in Ironman South Africa after a strong race.
- Strength: Fast run off the bike – prooved in Frankfurt that even in tough conditions he stands tall.
- Weakness: Has to fight himself into the race after the swimcourse.
- Remarkable facts: 3rd Ironman in 2017, blocked back 3weeks ago which took him 5days away from training, loves the Kona-atmosphere!
Sam Gydé (Bel – AG 40-44):
- 8th time in Hawaï, Multiple AG winner. 11th Overall in his last IM (Lake Placid -USA), qualified earlier this season in IM South Africa.
- Strength: Consistent athlete, Prooved last year that the race is over at the finishline, taking back 3rd AG place in the last mile.
- Weakness: Has no time to draft.
- Remarkable facts: Last weeks before departure to Kona he finished his sessions at 2AM. At least the jetlag won’t harm him.
Saturday evening (European time), we’ll follow our athletes with lots of pleasure!
Our 2018 qualifiers can look and learn for their race next year :-)!