Our athletes approach the World Championships, upcoming weekend the first of 4weekends of world championships is planned!
Here’s a roundup of our athletes having the honour to participate in Switzerland and Sweden!
World Championships ITU / Powerman Long Distance Duathlon Zofingen (Switzerland):
- Jan Meysmans(AG 35-39):
- Multiple AG world champion, current AG World champion and AG European champion
- Strength: Fast run off the bike – determined racer who always goes full gazz – massive experience
- Weakness: Had some sugarlevel problems in the past – can’t stand cold weather
- Remarkable facts: In 2017 only 2Belgians won the overall classification of a LD Duathlon, Jan is one of them.
- Wim Decoene (AG 40-44):
- First timer in Zofingen – First Powermanseason – 4th European championships Long Distance Duathlon (AG)
- Strength: Steady runner – Proved in his last races to have put a big step forward on the bike and closed the gap on ‘shorter’ distance with the Amateur topfield.
- Strength: Strong runner – has a final in his legs – Aerobic talent
- Weakness: First race with a +80K bikecourse – forgot to eat enough in past LD races.
- Remarkable facts: Wim as a master won the overall classification in the sprint distance in Zofingen and shared the podium with current PRO world champion Odeyn in his last race leading up to Zofingen.
- Hans Vandenbuverie (AG 35-39):
- 2015 AG European champion – Kona Qualifier – 8h44′ Irondistance PB – Irondistance winner
- Strength: Cycling and paced run off the bike – experienced on long bikecourses – can stand all weather conditions
- Weakness: First timer in Zofingen – too much choice in wheelsets
- Remarkable facts: In 2017 only 2Belgians won the overall classification of a LD Duathlon, Hans is one of them.
World Championships Swimrun (Ötillö-Sweden)
- Raphaël Amato (mixed teams):
- Multiple World championships 70.3 qualifier – got 2nd place in his last triathlon – won his last Swimrun with Sophie
- Strength: Will be the motor of the team on the run – prooved he can dig deep when it goes tough in a race during his last IM
- Weakness: Cold water might affect his muscles
- Remarkable facts: In 2017 he won Amphiman with Sophie in cold water which can give a mental advantage.
- Sophie Drofiak (mixed teams):
- IM70.3 2016 qualifier – won her last Swimrun with Raphaël
- Strength: Topswimmer – got in La descente de la Lesse last weekend which may reassure her for the run
- Weakness: First time racing such a long race
- Remarkable facts: In 2017 she won Amphiman with Raph in cold water and with limited running kilometers in the legs. Last 8weeks put her 2 steps forward!